Happy Friday, sweet friends! I get so many questions via email and on my Instagram about my hair, that I wanted to take a minute and share a few of my must-have products with all of you. And you know what that also means? Getting a little more personal than I usually do! So be sure to read on to see my hair story and why I swear by the below products!
About 2 years ago, I noticed that I was absolutely exhausted. No matter how much I slept, I was tired all of the time and didn’t have a lot of energy. I was traveling a lot for work so initially blamed it on that. But then I started gaining a ton of weight (despite eating healthy and sticking to a strict workout routine), experiencing crazy night sweats, intense head rushes, puffy hands and feet, forgetfulness, numbness in my fingers and toes, and the biggest kicker? My hair started falling out in handfuls. It took a few months, lots of blood tests, and 2 different specialists to finally determine that I had an underactive thyroid and my body wasn’t producing any T3 or T4.
Once I got on the proper medication, my body regulated itself and I started feeling like my old self again. But one of the lingering side effects was the damage done to my hair! It was an absolute disaster. I had so much breakage, and such large chunks had broken off in awkward places, there was no way to cover it up. And so, in an effort to stop any further damage, my hair stylist (who is INCREDIBLE!) convinced me to go a little darker with a melt, get hair extensions to cover up the breakage, and make sure I had an arsenal of product that would protect and nourish my hair and help it to grow.
And I have to tell you guys, my hair has never been better! By using the below products, my hair is the BEST it’s ever been. In the past year, my broken pieces have grown an incredible amount, I have shine, I have volume, and despite the dry Utah climate, my hair is growing faster and stronger than it ever has been before. So if are looking to achieve healthier hair, definitely check out the below!
- Kevin Murphy Angel Wash and Rinse: I have to admit, I was a little sticker shocked when I first started using Kevin Murphy product. BUT it has made SUCH a difference for my hair, I think it’s worth every penny. Plus, I find with this hair routine I am only washing my hair 2x per week, so I am not going through product nearly as quick as I once did. The Angel line also keeps my blonde from getting brassy.
- Kevin Murphy Shimmer Shine Repairing Mist: I spray this on my hair when I get out of the shower, and not only does it smell amazing, but it makes my hair really easy to comb through, preventing any damage from brushing when wet.
- Moroccanoil: This stuff is the bomb.com. I can’t get enough! It is SO dry here in Utah and this stuff has literally transformed my hair to be the softest it has ever been. I will never go without this product for as long as I live (or have hair!)! lol
- It’s A 10 Miracle Spray: I had read about this particular product on a lot of blogs, but HATED it when I first tried it. I found it left a weird residue on my hair. But I learned from a friend that this is not a product to douse all over your hair-which I was obviously doing. So when I started applying it to just the places that needed a miracle (i.e. the fuzzy ends of my horrible breakage), I immediately noticed a difference. And now that I understand that this is more like a spot treatment, I can’t go without it. It has really made a HUGE difference for my breakage.
- Wet Brush: I didn’t knot until recently, but I love me a good wet brush! With long hair, it gets so tangled, and I love knowing that I can brush my wet hair with something that will not damage it.
- NUME Classic Wand 25mm: If you read blogs, then you are probably familiar with Cara Loren. And she seriously has the BEST hair ever. She swears by these wands and so when they ran a promo right before Christmas, I pounced. And I am SO glad that I did. Not only does this wand create perfect curls, but they last. AND they are running a promo right now where you can get 40% off your purchase!
- Babyliss Flat Iron: I swore by my Chi for YEARS! And it took a lot of effort for me to make a change. But I noticed a HUGE difference the first day. I would suggest if you are still using a Chi, it might be time to look into something else. There are so many great brands out there who have advanced their technology beyond Chi.
- Redken Wax Blast: I am obsessed with this stuff! It gives hair a little grit and texture, but also tames frizzies. I probably wouldn’t be able to survive a day without this stuff. TOTALLY kidding. But at least it paints the picture of how much I love this product!
- Redken 18 Quick Dry Hairspray: Another product I can’t live without. It dries fast, and doesn’t feel sticky or hard like other hairspray. In fact, I even feel like it gives my hair a little extra volume, while still maintaining excellent hold. Definitely worth checking out!
Alright you babes, that was a REALLY long post. So if you stuck with me through the end, THANK YOU. And more importantly, I hope I was able to answer all of your hair care questions! Feel free to send me a message here or on Insta if you have any more questions or need more info!
3 thoughts on “Hair Care Must-Haves”
Abby! I soooo know what you mean about thyroid issues! I felt terrible for decades. I finally found the right treatment with Armour and WP thyroid instead of synthetics that never worked! I also dropped gluten from my diet. I used to weigh almost 200lbs and now I’m 130. I feel better in my 40’s than I ever did in my late 20’s and 30’s!
I think your blog is interesting! I have an idea for you to try! Let me know if you wanna hear it!
Hi! Thank you so much for your sweet message! I take the Armour too and it seriously has been life changing! So glad you were able to get your thyroid in check as well! And I would LOVE to hear your idea! Feel free to shoot me an email: email@example.com or just leave another comment here! xoxo
Thanks for sharing your hair strategies for thyroid struggles! I am going to try these products to help with my breakage and dryness.
I love your blogs and instagram posts! I always am excited to see what you do next!