I love it when you guys make requests for specific outfit or blog posts. So when my cute SIL came to me recently and asked me to do a post about wardrobe staples, I was more than happy to oblige! ESPECIALLY because this is the perfect time of year to clean out the clutter, get rid of the things you don’t need or wear, and make sure you have a few key items in your closet (that you LOVE) that will give you a ton of outfit options. Trust me, less can definitely be more when it comes to your wardrobe. You just need to own the right pieces!
1. JACKETS: Light jackets are the quintessential layering piece for every gal’s wardrobe and can be worn year round-so you will be sure to get your money’s worth out of them. And while I am a proponent of jackets in general, there are three styles that every gal should definitely have in her closet, with an honorable mention going out to a great faux leather jacket (you can shop my favorite one HERE):
*The Surplus: Great for dressing up or down, perfect weekend or date night wear, great with t-shirts or dressier tanks, also looks great with boots or heels, and always perfect with denim (SHOP MY FAVORITES: HERE, HERE and HERE)
*Denim Jacket: Surprisingly, I wear my denim jacket all year round. This is truly an item that can be worn with anything. BUT if you wear it with denim bottoms, please, please, please make sure there is enough contrast between the colors (ALSO LOVE THIS AND THIS)
*Black Blazer: There is a lot of talk about transitioning looks from day to night, and a black blazer is the key item to do just that! And not only will it help you transition your look from day to night, but you can wear it to an interview, throw it on as a jacket for date night, wear it over a dress at a wedding, or pair it with sky high pumps and a silky tee for drinks with the girls-it really is a must have item for every wardrobe! (SHOP MY FAVORITES HERE, HERE, and HERE)
2. BOOTS: If you are like me (or any other girl in the world for that matter), then you LOVE boots! But even though I love boots, I notice that I tend to wear the same boots over and over: go-to cognac boots, black heeled boots for work (or a slightly dressier look), and tan booties to fill in for all of the occasions in between! You can always add to these, but if you are trying to be more minimal this year, then these are the only three pairs of boots you’ll need! And if yours are worn out (like mine were this year), then find yourself a good cobbler!
3. LBD: If you don’t have a little black dress in your closet, you definitely need to invest in one. If you have a wedding, a date, anything that pops up, an LBD is the perfect piece to have in your closet so do you don’t have to buy something new. PLUS with fun accessories and shoes, it’s an item that you can style countless ways without breaking the bank! (PICTURED, ALSO LOVE THIS, THIS, and especially THIS)
4. LIPS: For the longest time I thought I couldn’t wear a bold lip. But I can, and SO CAN YOU! Trust me when I tell you that you not only need a go-to nude lip color in your life, but you also need a go-to bold! Lipstick was one of the hottest accessories of 2014 and it will be again in 2015! (SHOP MY FAVORITES HERE: MAC Rebel, Stila Beso, Urban Decay F-Bomb, Nars Heat Wave, Nars Striptease)
5. PUMPS: If you follow this blog, then you know I LOVE pumps! And I have them in a plethora of colors, shapes, and sizes (I used to be a footwear buyer). But when it comes down to it, all you really need are 3 pairs: a pair of classic nude (also love these and these), black (also love these), and a pair of leopard for when you are feeling a little feisty (also love these). Trust me when I tell you, leopard is a neutral and you will be surprised at just how many things you can wear them with!
6. BOTTOMS: I selected all skinny bottoms for this post, because that is what I primarily wear (and think you should too!), but if skinny jeans aren’t for you, the same premise from below applies to whatever style you prefer, whether it’s flare, bootcut, or something else:
*A pair of clean, dark wash denim: Minimal is definitely key here-no bling, no heavy stitching or whiskering, no flap pockets (on your skinny jeans specifically)-just a simple pair of dark, clean denim. Some of the best brands out there are 7FAM (what I wear), JBrand, Rag & Bone, and Current Elliott. And while these brands are a little pricey, they are definitely worth the investment. I also think American Eagle Makes great denim and I love their new premium line (which is still under $50/pair)!
*Blank Ponte Pants: Granted I have to wear black to work, but I’m pretty sure I wear my JCrew GiGi pants more than anything else in my closet! They are heavy enough that they aren’t a legging (and hold everything in place!) and the twill/ponte fabric make them work appropriate. They also look great with pumps or boots. (also love these)
*Light Wash Destroyed Boyfriend Jean: Again, a great piece year round and the perfect way to change up your wardrobe and your look. They are absolutely one of my favorite things to wear with pumps for a night out, or with sandals to the farmer’s market.
7. VESTS: Oh how I love me some vests! And I constantly find myself rotating between a UTILITY VEST and my favorite PUFFY VEST (which I change out with a denim vest during the warmer months). They are almost like my safety blanket-if an outfit feels boring or incomplete to me, you can bet I am almost always going to throw on a vest. And boom! The outfit is fixed! Amazing what a difference a little old vest can make for an outfit! And get ready, because you are going to be seeing a lot of them this season-so why not get ahead of the trend?
8. TOPS: I seem to always have too many tops in my closet. In fact, it’s an area that I am working on paring down in the new year. And because I feel like I have too many tops (yet still have nothing to wear-ha!), I have been focusing on the kind of tops that I DO wear, and I’ve found there are three very specific styles on constant rotation in my wardrobe:
*Plaid button down or flannel: I don’t think this one needs much of an explanation, but if you don’t have a great plaid shirt in your closet, then you need to get one. You can wear it with any of the above vests or jackets, and they always look great back to a red lip! (SHOP MY FAVORITES HERE, HERE, and HERE)
*Lightweight Layering Sweater: There is a reason JCrew always carries the Charlie sweater every season in both the Factory store and the regular store in a rainbow of colors-it’s the perfect staple. Wear it alone or layered under or over something-you are bound to get your money’s worth out of this one, and then some!
*Silky V-Neck Tee (my fave): I discovered the silk v-neck tee from Express last year and I am obsessed. They look amazing layered under a jacket, a sweater, or alone. And when you’re looking to make smart decisions with your money and wardrobe, this is an ideal piece to have because it will help you create endless outfits for all sorts of different types of occasions! (Also love this reversible tank!)
Alright my sweet friends. Thanks for bearing with me through this long post! I hope it was helpful. And if there is anything specific you would like to see on the blog this year, or if you have any questions about this post, please don’t hesitate to let me know!!!!
Hope you are all having a fantastic week!