If I’m being completely honest, I have to admit that I’ve been feeling a little angst about my birthday today. Ever since I hit 30, it seems to get a little harder to see the years keep ticking by one by one. And the milestone birthdays (like 35!), seem to be a little weightier than 18 and 21, and definitely not quite as fun. BUT I have to say, as I have been reflecting on my 30s the last few days, I’ve realized that while these years have been some of the most challenging, it has also been one of the most rewarding phases of my life that has cultivated the most personal growth. So in honor of my 35th birthday today, I thought I’d share a few things that I have learned so far in my 30s:
- It’s ok to be completely you are, and feel confident in that.
- Life is messy, and complicated, and harder than anyone ever tells you.
- You can make just about anything in a crockpot.
- My mom is my best friend.
- If you think something nice about someone (whether you know them or not), tell them!
- Watching Dateline (or 48 Hours Mystery) in my jammies with a glass of wine on Friday night is usually more exciting than going out.
- It’s ok to be the most overdressed person at a party.
- Dry-shampoo is a life-saver.
- Be kind to everyone. You never know what is going on behind someone else’s closed doors.
- Lip gloss over lipstick.
- Coffee dates with girlfriends are refreshing for the soul.
- It’s ok to tell people no.
- Find gratitude in everything.
- Eating healthy is fun and it feels good (same with working out)!
- Strive to be a better and kinder person each and every single day.
- Thriving relationships create true happiness-not success and wealth. Choose your focus wisely.
- It’s important to splurge and treat yourself every now and again.
- Saving for retirement is really, really important.
- Find something you’re passionate about and incorporate it into your day-to-day.
- Boundaries in relationships are key.
- Being an auntie is one of the best jobs in the world!!
- Ignore the haters.
- The Bachelor/Bachelorette is the best way to end a Monday.
- Trust your gut.
- I am blessed beyond measure to know a God that loves me and forgives me for all of the mistakes I make along the way!
Happy Monday, sweet friends! Hope you have a great start to your week!